Re: netview won't see correct hostname...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview won't see correct hostname...
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:25:24 -0400
When you do ovobjprin -s | grep <hostname>,  you get back the object
id and the selection name of the object. ovobjprint -s <selection name> will
display all of the information it has stored so far for that node.
ovobjprint -s <objectid> will return the same thing. If it only has the first
two
fields, selection name and ip hostname, then it is at the hint stage, That is,
netmon has heard from it, but either has not yet gotten around to fully
discovering it, or has decided it does not meet the criteria in the seedfile.
An ovtopofix -a will get rid of it. If it has more fields, then it is probably a
fully-defined node and you should be able to find it on the map to delete
it.

To support secondary addressing you need to configure that option on
netmon.

You say the 4 interfaces resolve to different names. I would put that
one in /etc/hosts, all with the same name, and maybe with an alias
for the unique names, but put the common name first. Netview does
not care about your urls. Or you can force discovery by the interface
that has a name on it that you like best by putting it in the seedfile.

I've added entries for machines with multiple interfaces to the netview
server hostfile and rediscovered them and everything's cool re: the
netview object name.

There is one stubborn webserver that never shows up, however, despite
putting the hostname in /etc/hosts on the netview server, deleting the
object and rediscovering it.

The machine has 4 virtual interfaces, that is, there is only one actual
ethernet port, but 4 different IPs have been assigned all resolving to
different hostnames which reflect different urls.  I get a different one
every time I delete and rediscover this machine, but none are the
hostname.

When I try to manually add the hostname as a selection I'm told that an
object with that selection name already exists.  When I try to locate
the object with that selection name using Locate->Objects->By Selection
Name I get told that there's no such thing.

ovobjprint -s|grep "hostname"

reveals the name I'm looking for in a field 3965, but I don't know the
significance of this, i.e., what object could be associated with that.

ovobjprint|grep "hostname"

reveals the name I'm looking for in fields 10 and 11, Selection Name and
IP Hostname, but again, I can't find any object, so why are these in the
database?

I'm ready to throw in the towel and just rename the symbol, but it would
be great if I knew what was causing this.  I'm sure that if I could
delete the object that is the actual hostname and rediscover this server
it would have the name from the /etc/hosts file, but I can't locate it
to do so.

Any ideas?
--
Sean Aaron