Re: About pmd usage...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: About pmd usage...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:56:36 -0400
Frederic -

Your plan sounds interesting and good luck to you, but I doubt whether you can
get any certain answers to your questions here.  You and the customer should be
planning on extensive testing for these answers.  You are looking for guarantees
and I doubt there are any.

No one in NetView knows anything about how the NM/Expert agent works, except
what you have told us.  They would be the ones to ask about whether it can still
function with ovwdb and ovtopmd down.  While the XOM/XMP APIs rely on pmd, so
they should still work, what does NM/Expert do once it gets the trap?  Read the
databases?  If so, then you may still have a problem and you need to consult the
people who built this application, not NetView.  Even after that, you will
probably have to test what they tell you. You should be able to do that even
before you build your backup system.

As for your HA set up, it seems reasonable enough, but until you actually test
it, you will not know for certain it will work.
And as for support of your procedure, that is rather murky.  You will not find
any such procedure in NetView documentation.  Yes, people do transfer databases
and run reset_ci all the time without problems, but the success of that depends
on the databases being properly shutdown and backed up, the ftp (or whatever
transfer mechanism you use) working correctly, and the restore as well. So it is
highly unlikely, given all the places that you might make an error, that you
will get any guarantees from us.  Will we take an APAR if you have a problem
doing this?  Probably not.

If you don't like that answer then I think you already know how to open a
request to development .

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Frederic Mottiat <frederic_mottiat@BE.IBM.COM> on 08/30/99 11:40:48 AM