Re: Recover customised maps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Recover customised maps
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:58:22 -0400
Once you have the map the way you like it, tar off the whole database:

To save the netview databases:
   tar  -cvf  mybackup1   /usr/OV/databases/openview

To restore:
   pax   -rp  e  -f  mybackup1
(Use pax for the restore because Netview databases are sparse filesystems.
Using tar to restore them would result in very large, mostly empty, files.
The pax command understands sparse files and restores them using only the
necessary space.)

Do the backup with netmon down; do the restore with everything down. Be root.
Once you restore, let thing sync up and deal with the changes that have happened
since the backup. THEN TAKE ANOTHER BACKUP.

 (248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 09/02/99

Theo Odendaal <theoo@IFUSION.CO.ZA> on 09/02/99 08:33:52 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>