AW: Default gateway

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: AW: Default gateway
From: Schiffinger Ralph 2100 <Ralph.Schiffinger@ERSTEBANK.AT>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:00:29 +0200
Sometimes having the same problem.
And it's NOT the gateway which is causing the trouble.
It's MY Fddi-interface which looses it's connection to our backbone.
Even have to reboot my machine.
There's just no other way to reconnect to our Fddi-bacbone.

My work-around:

Run a job (shell-script) every 10 minutes (crontab).
Ping your default gateway.
If you cannot reach it, ovstop netmon.
Plus any other action you want (alarms?).

Maybe it's a kludge, but at least it's simple, quick and dirty(?).
And fortunately i've planned for 2 network interfaces on my machine.
IF#1 used for "managing the network".
IF#2 used for "access to the manager-machine".
Highly recommended.

HTH.
Regards, Ralph.
iT-AUSTRIA / OE2100 / TK