Re: Cisco HSRP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco HSRP
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:23:02 -0400
Here's a re-post of one I sent a couple of weeks ago, excerpted
from the handouts from a product update I attended in late '97:

"
- HSRP IP addresses are reported only in the ARP table and not in
the IP address table. This causes the IP discovery problem.
- netmon identifies an HSRP IP address when it polls the HSRP IP address
but the IP address is not in the HSRP node's IP address table.
- If it is an HSRP IP address, netmon tries to find a node which
has the same IP addresses as in the IP address table and the
same sysDescr.
   - (If netmon cannot find a match, netmon discards this IP
     address. The HSRP IP address will reappear in the next
     discovery period.)
- When a matching node is located, an HSRP interface is created
for that node.
- netmon polls sysName to decide if a HSRP IP address has been taken over.
(Different routers should have different sysNames.)
   - (polling takes place at "status check" intervals - eg 5 minutes)
- If an HSRP IP address is taken over by another router, netmon will
delete the HSRP interface from the old router and move it to the
new HSRP router.
- Events IBM_NVHSRPDEL and IBM_NVHSRPADD are generated.
- SInce HSRP is not reported by SNMP agents, demandpoll will not
help solve the problems of HSRP.
- WHen experiencing an HSRP problem, the easy way to fix it is to
delete the HSRP interface and ping the HSPR IP address to
lent netmon rediscover it.
"

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Netview 5.1 supports Cisco's Hot Standby Routing
(HSRP) Protocol ?

Regards

Mogamat