Re: Auto Discovery and Auto Layout...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Auto Discovery and Auto Layout...
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:56:27 -0400
See comments below...

Hello All.

I have a very old rs6000 (test platform) - it's a C10. On that machine I am
running Netview V3 and AIX V3.2.5 (I know, it ancient but it is just for
testing.) Netview is using a seedfile AND had Auto Discovery turned. The
results have placed some questions in my mind...
> I assume you mean 'turned on' ?

1. When using a seedfile, auto discovery should be off correct??
> Separate issues. No relation whatever. With autodiscovery on, the
>seedfile provides a starting point, forcing discovery. If you manage
>the networks it finds, it will discover and manage nodes on those
>subnets, and discover (unmanaged) other networks beyond those nodes.
>With autodiscovery turned off, if you manage the fringe networks,
>it will only find the interfaces on those subnets belonging to nodes
>it has already found (presumably via the seedfile).

2. With auto disovery off, Netview will only discover new interfaces on
routers, correct?? It will not discover any new devices in the Network,
correct.
> True. But that assumes that configuration polling is on. New interfaces
>are found by configuration polls.

3. With Auto Layout off on the top level submap, new objects appear in the
NOHA, but do deeper submaps automatically recieve the new object or only
when I drag it onto the top level map does the appropriate submaps get it?
> Lower-level submaps are arranged automatically.They are in place before
> you arrange the top map.

Any info appreciated.

> Be cautious about drawing conclusions from the V3 system. Discovery and
> seedfile processing are quite different between V3/V4 and V5.

Gord.