Re: MLM question (limits)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM question (limits)
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:26:28 -0400
Like Netview, there are no architectural limits to what the MLM can
support. It depends on your hardware and your network and your
polling cycle.  Someone will correct me if I am wrong about this. That
said, there were some benchmarks done that showed that the MLM ported
to NT performed better than the Unix version which was originally
designed for LAN use. The NT MLM has been benchmarked monitoring
thousands of interfaces (in a lab environment, where network
latency does not come into it).The Unix MLM is intended for hundreds.
So probably you only need to worry about where you want the traffic and
how many MLMs you want to be administering and how big a box you can afford.
And of course how much more that up/down status you are monitoring.
I know this does not help much, but there it is.

What is the maximum number of devices that a MLM can support?

Best Regards,

Frank W. Hansen
Tivoli Enterprise Certified Consultant

Enterprise Innovations