Collecting and thresholding non-numeric data with the Data Collector

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Collecting and thresholding non-numeric data with the Data Collector
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:03:40 -0500
Having always used MLMs, I never noticed that you can not gather
anything but numeric data with the SNMP Data Collector on either UNIX or
NT.  The capability to do all sorts of relational operator tests on any
MIB regardless of type has always been part of the MLM's threshold
table.

Did I miss something?   It seems the answer is to configure an MLM on
the manager in question if I want something like this.  Any suggestions
on how you might query a string type MIB object sans the MLM?

The real reason we're doing this is to do some quick and dirty
monitoring of some Solaris boxes, which have Sun's SNMP stack on it.
It has the process table in private part of the MIB, but it is not
encoded conveniently to go check this with the data collector.

Thanks in advance,
Chris