Re: Discover

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discover
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:13:00 -0400
Is your Netview on Unix or on NT? Discovery works a little differently on
each. Assuming it is Unix, (and all of my experience is on AIX), this can
be caused by one of two things:

1) The addresses really do belong to the same device and the snmp agent
on that device reports that fact in its address and interface tables. That is,
there is one snmp agent on the device and it is responsible for all of the
interfaces you are seeing.
or
2) The name resolution for the addresses/names you entered in the seedfile
actually resolve to the same names/addresses. Netview will make a 'guess'
based on naming alone, especially if there is no snmp on the device, or it
can't talk snmp because the community is wrong. (At 5.1 and 5.1.1).

Name resolution has to work consistently and in both directions. Check it
with 'host' and 'nslookup' commands, on the names and on the addresses.

     Hi list, I hope some one can help.

     I add to my seedfile a couple of exsta devices stop and start netmon
     and then Netview start discover the devices. The problem is Netview
     then binds the address to one opject which was pervious discovered. So
     if you do a display Object Information the object got 4 ip interfaces.
     I deleted the object as well but no luck.

     Anybody knows whats wrong.

     Thanks

     LAuritz