Re: LAN Statistics/Utilisation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: LAN Statistics/Utilisation
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:39:47 -0500
Roger,

We are doing the same thing with NetView and SAS/ITSV, and have struggled
with the same question about getting a true measurement of LAN segment
utilization.  You are correct that the utilization on a router interface is
not actually the same as the utilization of the LAN segment that it is
connected to.  I would suggest looking at RMON as a source of data.  You
could either use dedicated probes, or some kind of embedded RMON agent in
your network devices (depends on what your device vendor can provide).  You
can use the snmpCollect daemon to collect the appropriate MIB objects from
the RMON agent, and get the actual LAN segment utilization.  We have done
this successfully with IBM's 8260 hubs, which include an embedded RMON
agent.  SAS/ITSV already contains both the Token Ring and Ethernet RMON
table definitions in its dictionary, so adding the table to your PDB will be
fairly straightforward.

Another issue to consider is whether your network is using switched or
shared LAN segments.  If you are using switched Ethernet, for example, then
there really should be no difference between the interface utilization and
the segment utilization.