smconfig V5 and MLM from SysMon 2.3

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: smconfig V5 and MLM from SysMon 2.3
From: Frederic Mottiat <frederic_mottiat@BE.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:54:10 +0200
Hello NV List,

Is the smconfig from NetView V5.1.1 able to talk with MLMs and SIAs from System
Monitors 2.3 ? I'm getting strange behaviours here.
The customer has a couple of MLMs and SIAs from SysMon 2.3 + NetView 4.1. We are
in the process of upgrading NV to V5.1.1 and SIAs are to be migrated to Tivoli
Distributed Monitoring 3.6.1.

We have installed a new NetView 5.1.1 server on a new SP node. Discovery is
running fine and it found all nodes running MLMs and SIAs. All of them are AIX
4.3.2 systems. The MLMs have not been upgraded yet.
We have a complete readWrite access via snmp on these systems from both the NV4
and NV5 machines.
On the NV4 system I can start smconfig and get all needed tables, but if I start
smconfig from the NV5 system, it says it could not find any MLM or SIAs on those
systems, or I'm using a wrong community. We are sure the communities are OK and
give us full access to these systems's SNMP MIBs. We can also use the MIB
applications from the monitor menu related to MLMs without problems from both
NV4 and NV5.

What can be wrong ? Any help appreciated !

Thanks a lot in advance

Frederic

Frederic Mottiat - IBM Global Services (PSS-SMNS)