Re: ADSM and Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ADSM and Netview
From: Rob Rinear <robr@DIRIGO.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:20:06 -0400
Netview gets events in essentially 2 ways - either an agent generates a trap
due to some condition, or Netview generates it based on snmp polling.

However you are monitoring CPU and disk activity today with Netview must be
similar - either an agent on the ADSM box is generating them, or you have
Netview poll the box for disk & CPU.  Somehow you need to have a trap
generated when the application is stopped or started, so you need to ind out
if there is a way to have the ADSM box generate such a trap, or find out if
there is a MIB value that will indicate application up or down.  If the
latter is the choice, you'll need to setup Data Collections and Thresholds
to poll this value every so often and generate a trap when it receives a
value of down.  One catch, though, is that Data Collections and Thresholds
only works with numeric values, so the MIB would have to return a numeric
indicator (i.e. 1=up, 2=down).

I will add, though, that Netview is not really the right tool for
applications management in my opinion.  If you will have a need to do much
more of it, I'd suggest looking at other tools such as Distributed
Monitoring.