Re: NetView & TDS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView & TDS
From: Stephan Schwalb <sschwalb@DEBIS.DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:26:56 +0200
Hi Walt,

many thanks for the information, I recently opened a PMR (2 days ago) regarding
this ( I will ask support to close it).

Drew, for your information, we are using the TDS and the modified netmon since
May
and we didn't
noticed any influence / problem based on that netmon. Because we had another
problem with netview
we received a patch with a new netmon (which didn't had the TDS part included).
If
the future
releases /patches of NV/netmon always will include that function as standard -
great !! Then we won't have any problem when receiving a new patch.

Rgds___Stephan

Walt Ostack schrieb:

> NetView 5.1.2 will ship this code in netmon.  If the environmental variable
> NMAVAILABILITY=on, then netmon will create availability files in
> /usr/OV/databases.  TDS, running on an NT machine,  provides code to load
> these
> files into a relational database and then process the data to provide
> graphical
> reports.
>
> Regards,
> Walt Ostack     Tivoli NetView Product Integrity
>
> Drew Wall <drwall@TEKSYSTEMS.COM> on 09/17/99 09:34:43 AM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
>       <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
> cc:    (bcc: Walt Ostack/Tivoli Systems)
> Subject:  NetView & TDS
>
> General question about integration of Tivoli Decision Support and
> NetView.
> Solaris 2.6
> Framework 3.6
> NetView 5.1
> TDS 2.0
>
> TDS supplies a patched version of netmon that enables it to track when a
> node goes up and down in a flat file.
>
> Has anyone integrated the two and what are your impressions (+/-)?
> Looking for feedback about how this 'new' netmon affects the NetView
> environment.
>
> Also, why does NetView not ship with this option or is it an
> undocumented feature.  It seems this will help alleviate some of the
> problems with calculating availability.
>
> TIA,
> --
> Drew Wall
> Enterprise Management
> TEKsystems
> mailto:drwall@teksystems.com
> http://www.teksystems.com

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards / Saludos

Stephan Schwalb

Systems engineer - Networkmanagement
debis - Systemhaus
Tel.: +49 (711)-17-49971