Re: IBM_NVDCOL_EV under the netview6000 enterprise...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: IBM_NVDCOL_EV under the netview6000 enterprise...
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:49:36 -0400
Not quite.

First, you do NOT have to use that event. You may define your own, and within
the Netview enterprise, generic 6 specific 1000-1999 are reserved for customer
use. You must use odd-even pairs; that is, if you specify 1001 as the threshold
trap, and configure a rearm value, then netview will generate a 1002 event
on rearm, so you would need to define that one as well. You could use a
different pair for each threshold.

Second, you CAN use only the 58720263 trap for the threshold (that means
58720264 is used if you configure a rearm value). Part of the value displayed
by that trap is the name of the mib variable whose threshold was exceeded,
so the same trap number can be used for all of your thresholding. If you are
going to have different actions defined based on what the problem was, your
action would have to parse out that information from the trap.  But having a
single event for all thresholds makes ruleset processing easier.

Third, you CAN use the 58720263 with copies if you want. One reason to do
this is if you wanted to take different actions depending on which nodes the
events were about. This copy capability was originally intended to allow you
to change the text or the action if the event was about one node or another.
This part of the product does not recognize Collections, though, only specific
nodes listed in the configuration of the event. These days that sort of thing
is better done with a ruleset. Mostly I use the Copy function to change a
particular event from a particular (noisy) node to 'log only' until it can be
stopped
at the source.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 09/27/99