Re: Viewing Netview object database with ovobjprint.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Viewing Netview object database with ovobjprint.
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:27:50 -0400
You cannot.  I believe Openview will see it and use it for a
hostname if nothing else is available, but Netview does not.

What I sometimes do is collect it and maybe add it back to the
database batch-wise. I'll use nvbformat to generate a list of
snmp-capable nodes, with the output in the format of
    echo {$1} `snmpwalk {$1} system.sysname`
and then clean that up as a script, capture the output, and
parse out the Selection Name and the sysname, and use that as
input for a run of nvdbimport to set the field. But usually one
look at the output convinces the customer that their sysnames
are in really bad shape and not worth messing with. If yours
are well-administered, you might want to make a nice script
and have cron run it weekly to update the database. Or use it
to update your DNS or hosts file.

When I display the object database  I've notice that the mib variable
sysName is not included in the information.
I have , sysObjectID , sysDescr, sysLocation, and sysContact. How do I get
sysName included as part of the information added to the database when a
device is discovered .

Thank  You

Bill

Bill McCarter