Re: Cisco MIBs & Traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco MIBs & Traps
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:10:12 -0400

If your MIB contains trap information then you can run mib2trap on it  and that
will create and addtrap script which you can then run to update trapd.conf.   If
not, then you can always configure your trap manually.  It is not hard.  You use
the GUI (Options --> Event Configuration) or just type xnmtrap from the command
line.  The unformatted trap in the events window or trapd.log tells you
everything you need to know: enterprise id, generic id, specific id, and all the
variables, so you can decide for yourself how it should look the next time.
Even if you use the first method you may want to use the second after the
addtrap, because most vendors do not provide a default format for their traps.

This is covered in Chapter 5 of the NetView Admin Guide.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jeanie Cham <yccham@NCS.COM.SG> on 09/30/99 07:48:41 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>