Re: Collisions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Collisions
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@KARDINIA.COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 12:58:34 +1000
Collision counter MIB variables are in the Ethernet MIB and in various
vendor enterprise MIBs.

The snmp_mibs directory on your NV system should contain the Ethernet MIB
either in its January 1993 version as RFC1398, or a later version. (
RFC1398 has subsequently been updated and made obsolete by RFC1623, then
RFC1643, then, for SMI v2, RFC1650, RFC2358, and finally RFC2665. I suggest
you load the latest one of these that you can find on your system.)

However, even RFC1398 has a dot3StatsTable which has (among other counters):
dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames
dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames
dot3StatsLateCollisions
dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions

Various vendor enterprise MIBs also have collision counters, so I would
also look in the appropriate enterprise MIBs for your hub/switch/routers,
try Gets on both sets of variables and compare them.

Finally, I would, if possible, put a protocol analyser on for a short
period to verify that correct counts are being reported in the SNMP MIB
variables.

At 10:14 AM 10/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Is there any way of messuring collisions with snmp?
>
>I haven't found a MIB-variable for it anywhere, does it exist?

>Christian Frantsen
>Technical Operations
>
>Internoc Scandinavia AB
>Tel: +46-36-194843