Re: DNS hostnames and Tivoli / Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: DNS hostnames and Tivoli / Netview
From: Dean Grant <dgrant@AHOLDUSA.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:31:41 -0400
There are some applications that do not support hostnames greater than 8
characters. NetView Distribution Manager comes to mind (at least some versions
of it), many mainframe apps. If you are not running an application that has this
restriction, you should be fine. If you are, then you should can use DNS to
support a 10 character hostname and an 8 character alias (for the legacy
appications). As NetView does a lot of reverse lookups, an 8 character hostname
and a 10 character alias would not work.

To answer James's question, I can think of a lot of reasons not to go to 5.1.2
so soon after shipping. There are many cases of bad software getting out there,
look at all the problems with the original 5.1.1 cd earlier this year. I should
say that this is endemic in the industry as a whole, not pointing fingers at
NetView. It could happen to anyone.

We are doing a new server install at the moment, and are planning to install the
5.1.2 patches later this afternoon.  I think its a low risk move.

James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM> on 10/11/99 08:25:59 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>