Re: Duplicate Address trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Duplicate Address trap
From: Brad Martin <bmartin@METLIFE.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:44:43 -0400
We've encountered the same problem with slip addresses. The way we addressed the
issue was to change the trap to "LOG ONLY". At the end of each day, we have a
script that reads the trapd.log for the duplicate IP messages, filters the one
that contain valid IP addresses, and then emails the report to specific
engineers. If you familiar with Korn Shell, the script looks something like
this.....

#
# Extracts duplicate addess messages & creates a tempfile
grep "Duplicate Address" trapd.log  > tempfile.rpt
#
# Filters messages that have 127.0.0.1 from the tempfile
grep -v "127.0.0.1" tempfile.rpt > dupip.rpt
#
#Sends the report to usr@abc..
mail -s"Duplicate Address" "usr@abc" < dupip.rpt

Brad Martin
Metlife

"BAUDOUX BERNARD" <bernard.baudoux@FORTISBANK.COM> on 10/11/99 02:47:08 AM

Please respond to "Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView"
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>