Re: nvpager

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvpager
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:48:29 -0400
You have misunderstood the command syntax.   I know the nvpage man page may not
be  great so here's the scoop.

To send an alphanumeric message you must have a carrier defined in nv.carriers
and use it with a pin number.  When you direct dial a pager number, your message
can only be numeric.  For example, an alphanumeric message would be like this:
     nvpage 1234567@skytel  Interface 735 has a problem
Here the first number is a PIN for skytel.
When you want to direct dial, your message is like this
     nvpage 18002559600  123456789
The first number here is the actual phone number to dial, and the second is the
string of digits you want sent to that number.  And it cannot have any
non-numeric characters included (though your modem will accept a comma because
that is a "pause") in a dial string.  That is a good way to think about a
numeric message -- it is just another dial string - because it goes over the
telephone network as a tone series just like the original number.  It is as if
you entered the message with the telephone keys (there aren't any real letters
just digits).

You can also send a numeric message with a carrier  such as
     nvpage  -n 1234567@skytel  19192544600
which allows you to reach a user who has lower grade numeric-only messages with
his carrier.

But what you cannot do is both direct dial and send an alphanumeric message.
That function does not exist, because to send an alphanumeric message
successfully requires that nvpage knows the protocol your carrier is using, and
protocols are specified in the nv.carriers file.   nvpage actually dials the
pager  company and sets up a session with a computer on their end which accepts
the page.  That's how this works.  The page doesn't just transmit directly to
the recipient, as a direct dial numeric page does.

Does this make sense?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Boulieris, Arthur" <Arthur.Boulieris@NZ.UNISYS.COM> on 10/13/99 06:02:19 PM