Re: mlm node seedfile discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: mlm node seedfile discovery
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:07:07 -0500
> "Frank W. Hansen" wrote:
>
> Greetings. Discovery and status monitoring can be distributed from the
> UNIX
> NetView netmon to multiple MLMs.  The "-z" parameter tells netmon to
> configure the MLMs to perform discovery and status monitoring of the
> nodes in the MLM's subnet.  What if I would like the MLM to discover
> nodes outside of its subnet?  Can I provide a seedfile for this during
> the MLM's initial discovery?

This is most easily done with the APM and collection.   Look at the
netmon section of the Netview Administrator's Reference.    Basically,
you need to reprogram the rule for the mlmDomain_ prefixed collection(s)
for each of your MLMs.  The rule can be reprogrammed at any time (by
default the APM uses a Subnet rule).  Also, the NV Prog Ref document
describes on page 2-87, the procedure for doing this prior to launching
the GUI for a discovery.

You can of course, use smconfig or manually set the status and interface
monitoring tables of the MLM with something as primitive as the MIB
Browser, but why bother?

Hope this helps.
Chris