Re: MLM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:32:17 +0100
"Frank W. Hansen" wrote:

> Greetings.  I have posted several questions regarding issues around
> MLM discovery, status polling and monitoring thresholds.  I am still
> unclear if by moving devices into the MLM collection, that MLM is now
> truly responsible for the device from a monitoring perspective.

I believe that if a node is in an MLM's domain collection AND you have
configured netmon to use MLM for STATUS polling, then the MLM will do
status polling.  Part of the "configuring netmon" process includes
specifying the "TME 10 NetView MLM domain collection prefix" - this
defaults to mlmDomain_<hostname of your MLM> and is created
automatically if you configure APM.  If you use the Tivoli Desktop
method to configure your netmon daemon and use the "Help" button, there
is some quite good info there - it doesn't seem to exist if you
configure netmon from SMIT!

This gives you 2 options - either modify the standard
mlmDomain_<hostname> collection, or create your own collection with all
the nodes you want status checked, and make sure that you set the domain
collection prefix in your netmon customisation.  Either way, these nodes
need  NOT be limited to the same subnet as your MLM.  The only time that
netmon will re-assume responsibility for status polling is if he sees
that an MLM is down - netmon then takes over until he sees the relevant
MLM come back up.

Discovery is a different story - again, provided you configure netmon to
use MLMs for discovery, it will do so but ONLY in it's own subnet(s) -
if he has multiple interface cards in different subnets, he should
discover in each of those subnets.

Re data collection and thresholds, the story is much the same as for
status polling.  If you use APM to monitor thresholds, this threshold
customisation will be sent to the MLM who has the thresholded node in
his mlmDomain_<mlm hostname> collection.

The only piece that still leaves you doing is if your APM monitor is
also collecting data - you need a process to haul that in from your MLMs
into your NetView machine - there is the mlmRemoteCollect command
although I have never succeeded in making this work - it uses rexec so
is a security no-no with some of my clients.
Regards,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant