Re: Event automation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event automation
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 00:04:11 -0500
Here's a script I have used (though not lately):

ADMIN="soandso@rsuchandsuch.com"
#echo $*
MSG=\"$*\"
RESULT=`echo "${MSG}" | /usr/sbin/sendmail ${ADMIN}`

exit

You could directly customize the event (or a copy of the
event) in Options..Event Customization..Trap Configuration.
I'd start with that, and get it working with something like
Node UP,which is easy to generate with the event command.
Have the event invoke this script, passing any or all
arguements (the online help for this is really good).

When your action is working well,then you can get fancier and
build a ruleset with Tools...Ruleset Editor. Use a Trap
Attribute block to get the right events, then maybe a Collection
block to narrow down the nodes, or assign nodes to operators,
and then an action block to call your script. Read the help,
because parameter passing is different in Rules than it is in
events customization.

See the man page for sendmail for any configuration there.

And search the archives of this listserver for postings from
James Shanks about rulesets. This is his area, not mine.

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to this game so if you can give me a hand that would be
great
:) .
Here is my question:

I want to set up event automation so that when i get a trap from a device
Netview i would like to automatically send an email to the operators so
they
get a notification on the problem. Has anyone got this set up on AIX, if so
can you show me how ??

The other thing is does anyone know how to incorporate Windows NT messenger
into Netview for AIX and send messages to NT workstation as a popup ??

Cheers.
Kevin.