Re: Cisco Addtrap script...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco Addtrap script...
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:57:48 -0600
My understanding of this script is that it is not officially supported by
Cisco.  Therefore, I sincerely doubt that anyone is maintaining it and
updating it.  We used the traps.script back in mid-1997 when we were first
building our NetView 5.0 server so that we could get "most" of the Cisco
traps easily defined.  All of the Cisco traps that needed to be defined that
were not in this script were defined manually or with the NetView addtrap
command.  We now take great pains to maintain the trapd.conf file, as we
have no automated way to redefine all of the trap customizations that have
been made.  Also, Cisco provides no automated tools to define their
vendor-specific traps.  If you install CiscoView, then there will be some
traps automatically defined, but it is only a handful.

Speaking of CiscoView, that's the best way that we have found of keeping
current with MIBs in NetView.  As Cisco updates MIB files, or creates new
ones, they eventually get bundled into a CiscoView device package.  If you
install the new device packages, then the new/updated MIB files will also be
installed, and you can load them into NetView's MIB database.

Without using CiscoView, the next best approach is to find the Cisco device
that you want in the http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/supportlists
directory, and view the MIB Support List for that device.  I know it's a
pain, but unless you know that you do not need a particular MIB file, then I
would recommend that you download them all.  You need to start at the top of
the Support List and work your way down.  Don't just skip to the IOS release
that you are currently running, and load only the MIB files listed there.

As far as the -TC and -SMI MIB files, that also includes the
CISCO-SMI-V1SMI.my and CISCO-TC-V1SMI.my files.  The -TC files define
TEXTUAL CONVENTIONS which are basically names of things that need to be
defined.  The -SMI files define the "top-level" branches of the MIB tree
which are then referenced by other MIB files.  Sorry, I do not know what SMI
stands for.
HTH

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com