Re: node down delete interval (was blank)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: node down delete interval (was blank)
From: Dad <jfitz@PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:04:06 -0500
?? ??` ?Hd?$ ??$0 .??B ? ?  ?1? .?? D?????  q .?? .?  z?? .??T?P ?  .?` .??B
????  .???p   ??  .??

on 11/10/99 5:17 PM, James Shanks at James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM wrote:

> I'm not the netmon guy so I am just guessing.  But my understanding is that
> the
> node down delete thing would only be checked when a config check was done.
> Have
> you tried demand polling the thing?
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support
>

> Brad Martin <bmartin@METLIFE.COM> on 11/10/99 03:51:35 PM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
> <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
> cc:    (bcc: James Shanks/Tivoli Systems)
>

> If I understand the Node Down Delete Interval in the SNMP Configuration Dialog
> correctly, I should be able to create a collection that has a node down delete
> interval that is very short. For instance, I should be able to place a router
> that has been critical into a collection and then specify that nodes within
> that
> collection are to deleted if they've been down for more than 30 minutes.
>
> However  when I create a collection with one node that's critical and then
> configure the SNMP node down interval to 5 minutes, nothing happens. Does
> anyone
> have an explanation?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Brad Martin
> MetLife

Brad I am using this feature now.  First you don't need a collection to see
if it works.  It also does not depend on snmp or any demand pole just status
from ping.

The node down interval starts when the status goes critical.
If you change the snmpconf for that node make sure you clear the snmpconf
cache to guarentee those values take effect. Netmon may also finish the last
cycle time before it uses the new one.   xnmsnmpconf -clearC
Check the settings of the node by doing a...
xnmsnmpconf -res nodename
Look at the deletedown time.
Remember there is a presedence to the xnmsnmpconf node lookup.
Lookup falls thru until there is a node match, and only filled in entries
take effect.  Others come from default settings if not entered.

1. node enty exists as a single entry.  (Top BOX  in GUI.
2. Wild card entry
3. Collection

Also if the node was down the previous nodedown timmer is running.
What I do is create the collection and also create an xnmsnmpconf entry for
that collection with the ping set to 3sec timout set as low as possible
nodedown delete at 1sec.
REmove the single entry so it falls thru to collection.

Hope this helped.

Jeff Fitzwater
CIT Systems & Networking
Princeton University