Re: node down delete interval (was blank)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: node down delete interval (was blank)
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:45:53 -0500
Brad, the fact that the node was deleted overnight confirms James'
proposition, that the node down delete interval is related to the
configuration poll interval. A demandpoll and a configuration poll
are not the same thing. Your config poll interval is probably the
default, which is one day. If you examine the output of demandpoll
you will see that it includes the timestamp for the next configuration
poll for that node.

The design supposed that you do not want to do config polls too
frequently since they generate a fair amount of network traffic. The
expectation is that the node down delete interval will be longer than
the config poll interval - hence the defaults of 1 day and 1 week.
In real life, though, I find that customers generally delete things
manually
when they know they have been removed from the network. Otherwise
you are might well be masking a real network problem. So I don't
think automatic deletion is used too much. Anybody else?

So now, just to be nosey, let me ask what problem you are trying to
solve with this rapid deletion of down nodes?  Maybe someone will
have a suggestion for an alternate solution.

James,

Sorry about forgetting to include the subject and releases. NV 5.1.1 on an
AIX
4.2.1

It appears that the nodes will eventually get deleted but I don't
understand
what triggers it.

I've done a demand poll and the objects remain.
I've closed and re-opened the user interfaces - the objects remain.
I've done an ovstop / ovstart - the objects remain.

I've gone home and returned  - the objects disappeared.

My goal is to find an easy way for Operations to remove remote offices that
have
been relocated. (Averages 20-30 offices / month. The new office is
typically
created using new addresses / names and then the old office equipment
recycled).
I've written a script that determines the objects that belong to an office
based on the router in the remote office. The script updates a collection
called
"Garbage" with the appropriate rules.  I can have the map administrator
manually
remove these items, but it would be ideal for NetView to then delete these
objects based on the Node Down Interval. Using this technique, I can give
the
script to operations knowing the worst they can do is run it for an active
office and even then NetView isn't going to delete it unless the office is
actually down.

Brad Martin
MetLife

"James Shanks" <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM> on 11/10/99 05:17:06 PM

Please respond to "Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
NetView"
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>