Re: Hierarchy of submaps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Hierarchy of submaps
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:13:22 -0500
I only meant what it says in the Admin Guide in the instructions and
restrictions
on customizing the graphical map, table 11: Node Submap: No symbols should
be moved to or from a Node submap. The collection facility is another
matter, of
course. And when you move a node, the interfaces go with it. That's fine. I
was just
a little suspicious of some of the lines in Willem's description of his
map,

Root Map  | -> IP Internet Map     | ->  Auckland Location Container   | ->
Various Stack Location Containers  | -> Branch Router Icons       | ->
Loopback Network Icon and Interface Icons

There is not a good legal way to get a network icon and in interface icon
in the same
submap; but on rereading, I suspect that he means that lowest location icon
contains the
router plus the networks for all of the interfaces including the loopback
interface.

Oh, never mind...

Willem,

I would have to agree with Leslie on this one.  We based our containers
(submaps) by location through the IP Internet Map.  When I tried to creat a
new submap at the root level, when devices changed on the IP Map, they did
not change on the root level map.  Also if I tried to copy and paste the
objects from the IP map, the connections did not follow with the object.
Having everything located within the IP map has made the management so much
easier.

Now I have a question for Leslie, what exactly did you mean by "not be
doing
any cutting and pasting of interface icons"?  Did you mean that we should
not be moving objects around into submaps (containers) by doing this?

Scott Hammons
McBride and Associates, Inc.