Re: Wildcards in 'Event Attributes' ruleset node

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Wildcards in 'Event Attributes' ruleset node
From: Freeman Ken <Ken.Freeman@WOOLWICH.CO.UK>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:52:14 -0000
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender only and
do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Woolwich plc, any
of its subsidiaries or it's associated companies. The sender may not be
authorised to give financial advice, and nothing in this message should
be construed as offering such advice. Woolwich plc is an Introducer
Firm only for Woolwich Life, Woolwich Unit Trust Managers and Woolwich
Plan Managers which are regulated by the Personal Investment Authority
for Life Assurance, Pension, Unit Trust and other Investment business.

Registered Office: Watling Street, Bexleyheath, Kent DA6 7RR.
Registered in England No.3295699

The information contained in this message and any attachments are
are addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information
and if you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute
or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this email
in error please notify the system manager ADMINISTRATOR@WOOLWICH.CO.UK
James,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not actually looking to ignore the traps completely, merely process
them differently to other traps.

The background is that one of our implementations is using SMS to forward
the Windows NT traps to NetView/AIX.

Unfortunately SMS is not configurable for thresholds and sends all traps
passed by the applications with the result that there are many duplicates
which kill our paging system (last week they sent 424 duplicates in a 6
minute period!). Also SMS sends 5 standard 'varbinds' so threshold checking
needs to look at Specific trap, Enterprise Id, Origin and varbinds 6 & up.
I also wanted to ensure that the checking only took in the Microsoft traps
so that when we implement a device/package that uses Enterprise Ids
3110-3119 these are not affected (just thinking of the people who will have
to support the system when I'm gone!).

I have now created a ruleset that does what I want and it appears not to be
dragging NetView down to it's knees so I'm going to leave it for a while.

Thanks for all your help

Ken Freeman
Woolwich plc