Re: Wildcards in 'Event Attributes' ruleset node

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Wildcards in 'Event Attributes' ruleset node
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:27:52 -0500
Check the database field 'vendor' for the node the trap is from. If all of
those oids are in oid_to_type, then the vendor field should say Microsoft.
Or make a Collection of the oids you don't want, and check membership.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use wildcards when processing the
Enterprise Id in the 'Event Attributes' ruleset node?

The problem that I have is that I would like to exclude the Microsoft traps
from some of our processing. Unfortunately the traps do not exist in a
single Enterprise Id (1.3.6.1.4.1.311) but 20-30 different Enterprise IDs
(1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.13.aaa.bbb.ccc....etc) due to the way that Microsoft
codes/issues SNMP traps from SMS.

The various methods I have tried are:

        1) 'Inline Action' running "echo $NVE |grep -q 1.3.6.1.4.1.311."
         Works, but causes the NetView/AIX to slow down as the command is
run for every alert!

        2) Enterprise Id = 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.* in an 'Event Attribute' node
         Doesn't work at all

        3) A complicated series of 'Event Attribute' nodes testing the
Enterprise Id in different ways
           Works, but messy and difficult to document!

Any help/hints would be most welcome.

Ken Freeman
Woolwich plc