Re: NetView NT 5.1 Client/Server problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView NT 5.1 Client/Server problem
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:51:30 -0800
Michael,

Most of the time when the Client won't connect to the
server is caused by security problem.

1.  Netview client and server communicates to each
other using the Netview ID, and they both need write
access to each other.  If you are using NTFS, make
sure the file permissions are set correctly.

2.  Are you using SQL or Access as the database
backend for Netview.  If you are using SQL, make sure
the ID is setup on SQL.

3.  Check the \usr\ov\log\nv.log on both the server
and client see what it tells you.

Hope this helps
Xu
--- Michael_H|ttl <michael@DATANET.CO.AT> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Situation:
>
> 1. I have installed NetView 5.1 server on a Windows
> NT server (Version
> 4.0 SP3) and NetView 5.1 client on another Windows
> NT server.
> 2. netview account is defined on both system the
> same way
> 3. NetView server "root directory" drive with
> \usr\ov directory is
> mounted an accessible from the client
>
> Problems:
> 1. When I start NetView client, I got the error
> message:
> Error: The NetView Console cannot connect to NetView
> server. Exiting
> console
>
> 2. When I start ovobjprint from a dos window on the
> client I can access
> the object DB on the server (get the responses and
> the data)
>
> 3. When I start ovtopodump from a dos window on the
> client I get the
> error message:
> Error: Could not open topology database. Cannot
> connect to server.
> Unknown error
>

> Any solution appreciated
>

> Michael Huettl <michael@datanet.co.at>