Re: Got it to work --- Writing a Rule to forward PatrolView Alarm data v

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Got it to work --- Writing a Rule to forward PatrolView Alarm data via Netview to TEC
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:12:50 -0500
Well, your description still confuses me.  In an Event Attribute block you
specify two things,
(1) an attribute of all traps (like origin, enterprise id, severity, and so on.
Those are your choices in the window),
and
(2) a value for that attribute to take .

Are you saying that when you clicked on the "Select" button you were able to
find an attribute called "BMC Software"?
That shouldn't be.   I understand how you could select "Source" in the top
window and "Agent" in the bottom for a value, but not how BMC software comes
into it.   Or did you use more than one Event Attribute block?  Or did you add
that Event Attribute block to the Trap Settings block you used before?

Rulesets are very hard to visualize by verbal description unless you try to draw
them with words like this:

Event stream(block)  --> TrapSettings (NetView Node down) --> (input 1of)
Reset-on-match   -->  Foward

     --->   Trap Settings (NetView Node Up) ----------------------> (input2 of)
Reset-on-match

(10 min wait)

It is up to you of course, if you want to explain what you tried and how exactly
it failed and then worked, but right now, I for one, am mystified.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Indy Chakrabarti <indy.chakrabarti@ewllc.com> on 11/23/99 04:38:54 PM

Please respond to indy.chakrabarti@ewllc.com