Re: Simple Question--daemons to cycle after making changes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Simple Question--daemons to cycle after making changes
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:51:15 -0500
When you make changes to a trap format in trapd.conf using xnmtrap, you don't
have to re-cycle any daemons, because when you click the last "OK",  xnmtrap
sends a special trapd to trapd telling him to re-read the trapd.conf file.  You
can simulate this trap any time you want by issuing
     event -e FMTCHG
and trapd will refresh his in-memory copy of trapd.conf.   But if you are going
to use this so that you can manually edit trapd.conf with vi or some other
editor, I caution you to make a backup copy first.  Much of the data in
trapd.conf is positional and if you mess it up, then it won't load.  And if you
take trapd down and restart him with an ill-formatted trapd.conf, he will not
start but give you an error message instead.

Changes to a ruleset are different.  You must de-register the old copy of the
ruleset with nvcorrd.  If your ruleset is running in a dynamic window, you must
close that window (in fact all windows using the old rule).  If your ruleset is
run out of ESE.automation, then you must ovstop actionsvr and restart him.  He
registers all those rulesets with nvcorrd.  If you are using a ruleset for TEC
forwarding, then you must either ovstop/ovstart nvserverd, or use the nvtecia
-reload command to cause him to reload the rule specified in tecint.conf.  See
the man page on nvtecia for details.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Drew Van Order <dvanorder@DTTUS.COM> on 11/24/99 09:23:48 AM