Re: Discovering selective nodes with NV6K Ver 6.0

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovering selective nodes with NV6K Ver 6.0
From: "Owens, Blaine C" <bowens@EASTMAN.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:41:20 -0500
Yes, you may specify the OIDs you want using the "@oid" prefix in the
seedfile, for example:

@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.*

for cisco. I know this works for AIX, not sure about NT. The drawback to
using this method is that "hints" for the entire network get added to the
database whether the criteria is met or not adding some overhead. We have
the luxury of a healthy server so we use this method with no problems.

Prior to this feature I tried to manually maintain IP address lists in the
seed file - major pain on a fairly large, volitile network. And anything
done manually is eventually going to be less than accurate. Overhead of the
"hints" or no, I much prefer this method for a fairly large network which
changes fairly often.

Blaine Owens
Eastman Chemical Company
Phone - (423)-229-3579