Re: Ignore Category on Netview NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ignore Category on Netview NT
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:31:24 -0500
There is no ignore category for NT.  That function is not there.  But you can
set a filter on the event browser not to display certain traps if you wish.
Perhaps the best explanation as to why is to understand what "Ignore" means for
NetView for UNIX.
Since trapd.log is optional for NT, there is little  need for an "Ignore"
feature.

You may be mistaken about this function in  UNIX.  That setting DOES NOT prevent
reception.  It just causes trapd to not log the trap in trapd.log and nvevents
not have it display under normal circumstances in the events window.  But it is
still received and processed.  And in fact it will still be passed on to nvcorrd
for ruleset processing, because you can in fact, open a dynamic window and
display all the traps which have arrived that are set to "Ignore".  You can also
do whatever else you want to do with it in a ruleset, including forward it to
TEC. The only way to avoid having a trap received is to turn it off at the
source and not send it in the first place.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Paolo Sanesi <p.sanesi@IT.IBM.COM> on 12/01/99 05:05:49 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>