Re: Monitoring a device on the other side of a fire wall

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Monitoring a device on the other side of a fire wall
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:09:56 -0500
Not many.  NetView gets status by ping, period.  If you cannot ping it, then you
not only cannot discover it, but you cannot keep its status current using the
product as is.  There is a feature coming in 6.0 (which has been mentioned here
before) that will allow you to say that for certain nodes to get status by snmp
request rather than ping, but it is not available yet.

What else could you do?  Well, you could add your own icon to the map, and set
up scripts which would issue snmpgets to see how the thing is doing, and then
issue snmptrap commands with the 58916871 status trap to change the color of the
icon you created.    That sort of thing all I can think of.

Perhaps other users have other ideas or  scripts/code they might share.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Hill, Channing" <CHill@BBANDT.COM> on 12/02/99 11:47:53 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>