Monitoring a device on the other side of a fire wall

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Monitoring a device on the other side of a fire wall
From: "Hill, Channing" <CHill@BBANDT.COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:47:53 -0500
Hello

Our network support group has requested that Netview (Netview 5.1.1 w/
Optivity 8.1on AIX 4.2.1) monitor a router that resides on the other side of
a fire wall. Our Information Security Group has configured the fire wall to
allow our NMS station to see the router via snmp requests, telnet, and ftp.
The only problem is that I can't ping the router in order for Netview to
discover it. I beleive they have a problem with allowing ICMP packets pass
through the fire wall.

My question is, what other options do we have to monitor this router using
Netview with the fire wall being in the way

Channing Hill
BB&T
Enterprise Management
chill@bbandt.com