Re: changing IP address and default gateway

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: changing IP address and default gateway
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:00:36 -0500
The first thing netmon does on startup is load the topology.  Nothing shows in
the netmon trace for this, so far as I know. The next thing he does is all the
daily config checks.  Only when those are done will he respond to your demand
poll request.

How is demand poll failing?  Does it hang or does it just time out?
Are your statuses on the map bad?  Are you sure your name resolution is working
OK after the move?  That could be critical here.

The only way I know to really tell what netmon is doing if the trace file is
empty is to open a problem to support and get a copy of dbxprof, which will
attache to the running netmon process and take snapshots of the call stack
(though you could do the same with dbx yourself, but you will need someone with
access to the code to tell you what is going on ).  So my advice is that you
open a call to Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

FITZINGER Richard <richard.fitzinger@IT-AUSTRIA.COM> on 12/03/99 09:55:37 AM