Re: Background Color For Submaps On Web Client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Background Color For Submaps On Web Client
From: Bob Stamm <Robert_Stamm@RES.RAYTHEON.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:51:47 -0500
Using background gifs are a pain with NetView because most tools and gifs
found don;t support the file format they require.  I use gifs often in the
generation webpages abd production of presentations, etc.  Almost always
the
gifs are unusable.  Additionally you cant use jpgs and many other file
formats.

One potential enhancement to NetVoew might be beefing up the capability to
support more the the modern imaging formats.  I work in Air Traffic Control
Systems and in a recent demo of a modified NetView GUI (with many changeds
to the XAppDefaults file, etc.) I had a great deal of difficulty finding
some way to put a nice-looking
map in the background.  The maps available with the product are simplistic
clip-art type things.

If you have a suite of graphics tools available to you the issue may be
moot but don;t expect to extract gifs from the web and expect them to work
for the most part.