Re: Loading SNMPv1/SNMPv2 MIBs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Loading SNMPv1/SNMPv2 MIBs
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:07:23 -0500
Well, you could try this if you like, and it may even work, but it's not
supported.   I'm sure it has not been tested.

Each mib compiler maintains its own binary file and its own text file and no
attempt has ever been made to make them interchangeable.  Indeed, because each
one has different parsing routines, it is hard to say whether they could read
each other's binary files or not.   If you want to really try this, then I would
do it this way:
(1) make a backup copy of /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib
(2) make a backup copy of /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.bin
(3) cp snmpmib snmpv2mib
(4) cp snmpmib.bin snmpv2mib.bin
(5)  try loading a new MIB with xnmloadmib2.

You won't really know whether your copying was successful until you get the
first new MIB loaded, because the entire MIB database is re-compiled with every
new MIB added to it.  That's the acid test.

If it works, then please tell us all, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM> on 01/11/2000 03:54:59 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>