Re: snmpv2mib snmpv2mib.bin and trapd.conf

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpv2mib snmpv2mib.bin and trapd.conf
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:09:24 -0500
If you are moving from one machine with NetView installed to another machine
with NetView installed, at the same level, then you can move the databases by
tarring  up /usr/OV/databases/openview and ftping to the new box, though I would
use pax, rather than tar, to unpack it  in order to preserve the sparse file
system structure of the databases.  You can use tar to unpack but you use more
space on the new box than you did on the old.   This has been covered here
before, many times.

For example, you could do this

 cd /usr/OV/databases/openview
 tar -cvf <filename> *                        this tars up everything into
your file

 pax -vf <filename>     (same as tar -tvf <filename>)   you can use pax or
tar to see the contents of your file

 pax -rp e -f <filename>  (like tar -xvf <filename>)         restore with
pax and don't forget the 'e' option to restore the permissions.

You should stop at least netmon and snmpCollect, and have no maps open when
you make the backup, and when you restore all the daemons should be down.

Then you must start the daemons and run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci to tie the
migrated databases to the new machine.

You can also just tar up, ftp, and untar all of usr/OV/conf,
usr/OV/registration, or even
all of usr/OV  to preserve all your other files and customization if you wish.

But you must have NetView already installed on the target machine already
because otherwise
you will not have any connection to the framework or snmpd or startup. And
you'll have to
make arrangements if you have any 3rd party products installed as well.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Philip_Guerra@TIVOLI.COM on 01/13/2000 10:32:22 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>