Re: Antwort: Re: Rulesets + Correlation !!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Rulesets + Correlation !!
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:37:29 -0500

Perhaps you will have to write out a more detailed and precise explanation of
what you are trying to do, because I don't quite understand what you are asking.
But please keep in mind that the pre-built functions offered in the ruleset
editor may not allow you to have everything that you want.  And as in any
programming exercise it is up to you to be creative.

The ruleset functions are very basic.  Whether you use PASS-ON-MATCH or
RESET-ON-MATCH, the slot #2 matching event (the Node Up or Interface Up in this
case) is just used as a go/no-go filter for the slot #1 event.  It is then
discarded.
There is no mechanism which says "if this event should match one I am holding,
then forward them both".    You can add your own forwarding to send all the Node
Ups or Interface Ups to the desktop, but you cannot select only those which
match.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you would work backwards from what you want
to see in the window.

I thought that what you wanted was a window which showed only those Node Downs
and Interface Downs which did not have a matching Node Up or Interface Up.  Such
a window would contain those events which represent real outages for the
operator to work on.   This is a fairly common request.

Did you want something different?  How about,  for example, you show all Node
Down/ Node Up events and Interface Up/ Interface Down events, but for those
which match,  you override the severity so that they have a different color than
the ones which aren't matched?

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support