Re: Is there a way to check on the health of netmon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Is there a way to check on the health of netmon
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:49:50 -0500
What do you mean by graphical?  If netmon is not running and you attempt a
demand poll from the GUI,  the deman poll window will tell you netmon is not
running.   And periodically, ovw checks on the daemons and will send you a
pop-up window which says that netmon is not running.  So if the GUI is already
up, you have both those options.

A quick way  to check on the health of netmon is to do "ovstatus netmon" and see
whether he has exited with a message, which is better than "ps" because ovspmd
will even catch a core and tell you about it (e.g "netmon exited with signal
11").  But the best way to check on the real health of netmon ("yeah, he's up
but is he working?") is to start the netmon trace (netmon -M  -1 ) and tail -f
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace.  Do you want that to be graphical?  How about writing
a short script to do it and put up a pop-up window with ovxecho or  ovxbeep?

I think you need to clarify what you are asking.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Muni Chatarpal <munic@LUCENT.COM> on 01/14/2000 12:43:49 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>