Re: Is there a way to check on the health of netmon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Is there a way to check on the health of netmon
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:11:19 -0500
The best way I know of to check on netmon is with the 'netmon -a' commands.
These tell netmon to dump a little status report to
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace.
There is netmon -a 3, which tells you how it is doing in the ping
department (status polling)
and netmon -a 4 which reports on the snmp department (configuration
polling).
These commands and their output are not documented, but they are discussed
here from time to time. The thing I look for is negative numbers in the
left-hand column.
That tells you netmon is past the scheduled time for that activity. The top
part of each
report tells you which nodes are being worked on now (default 16 concurrent
polls).

If you remove the netmon.trace file and issue the command, and get no
output
right away, it tells you netmon is too busy to report. It will be there
eventually.

I also use one of the freeware monitor tools that shows cpu utilization by
processes,
but netmon often does not use a lot of cpu except at startup.

Detroit

I know there is a graphical method of checking on the health of netmon
daemon in Network Node Mgr, How can you check on netmon with Netview ?
Something more than just a ps-ef |grep netmon.

Thanks

Muni