Re: xnmloadmib and xnmloadmib2 question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: xnmloadmib and xnmloadmib2 question
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:25:10 -0500
Worried in what way, exactly?

The MIB application builder, like all the other MIB functions in NetView, is
tied to the SNMP V1 MIB Browser only.  So if you want to use the browser to pick
out the MIB values you want to monitor in your MIB application,then you must
have a V1 version of that MIB loaded with the V1 loader.    But the MIB
application builder will let you specify the numeric version (.1.3.6.1 etc) of
any MIB object you want rather than use the MIBs which are loaded, so you could
specify your V2 MIB object that way if you could not get a V1 version of the MIB
to load.    Remember that what we are talking about when we are talking about
obtaining MIB information is using an SNMPget operation, which uses the numeric
form of the object, not the text form.  The  dialogs  in NetView are currently
tied to the  V1 text , but you can specify the V2 numbers if you cannot make
them work any other way.

Want proof?  Bring up the MIB Application builder and select "Add" to create
your own new application.  When the "Add MIB Application" dialog comes up, click
"Add" again to bring up the "Add MIB Objects".  The first line will begin with
".iso.org.dod.internet."  and show you the rest of the V1 MIB tree you have
loaded to choose from.  But instead of navigating the tree, click the MIB Object
box and add some bogus entry after "internet", as for example,
".iso.org.dod.internet.james", and then click "Apply".  The text in the Messages
window will tell you that this is not defined in a loaded MIB and you should
specify the numeric object id  or load the MIB.

Unless I am very much mistaken, the other apps I mentioned in my earlier append,
snmpCollect and the Ruleset editor, will also let you specify a numeric MIB
object rather than use the browser to configure them, and this may help you get
around the limitations I spoke of.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Rauwers, Laurens" <rauwers@HITT.NL> on 01/21/2000 08:30:17 AM