Re: Tivoli Events processeing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Tivoli Events processeing
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:24:22 -0500

It will be difficult to get the all the information you want unless you
familiarize yourself with at least the PatrolView product, since you have a very
specific set of requirements which few others are likely to share.   I know
nothing about PatrolView, but I thought it was provided by BMC, not by Tivoli,
so that's all I can say.  But if your BMC sources or PatrolView can send traps
to NetView, then yes, NetView can do quite elaborate processing using rulesets.
Using rulesets to perform paging and send emails is pretty simple stuff, and
NetView even provides its own (relatively simple) paging utility, so you don't
have to buy one unless you want more function than it offers.  Rulesets are
introduced in the NetView Administration Guide, which ships with the product,
and more information about building your own can be found in the older redbook,
SG24-4515-00, "Examples using NetView for AIX Version 4" (ruleset processing was
introduced in a long time ago in NetView).  As for classes, Tivoli does provide
a NetView for Implementers class which covers building rulesets.  You should
contact your Tivoli marketing rep or visit the Tivoli web site,
http://www.tivoli.com , for more information on that.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Michael Bock <MJBock@DSTSYSTEMS.COM> on 01/24/2000 06:09:40 PM