ifinoctet data format

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: ifinoctet data format
From: "Boulieris, Arthur" <Arthur.Boulieris@NZ.UNISYS.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:56:27 -0600
Hello
Im running Netview 5.1.2 on solaris 2.6.
I use it for collecting ifinoctets and ifoutoctets and store the data in
oracle via RIM.
I now have a month data and am working on some end of month reports and am
puzzled by the numbers.
My calculation is add ifinoctet + ifoutoctet to get the total bandwidth
utilsation.This figure is typically around 4000.00 to 8000.00.Does anyone
know what the two decimal places are for?
Also on say a value of 8000 octets per 10 minutes(my collection interval)
the bits / sec works out to be 8000 x 8 to get total bits per 10
minutes.Then divide by 600 to get bits/sec.
This gives a value of  8000 x 8 / 600 or 106.6 bits/sec.This all seems wrong
I expect it to be around 20 kb/s.
Am I misinterpreting the data?
I also noticed that some of the collections have a value to 8 decimal
places.Why?
If anyone out there is reporting on similar stats I would appreciate your
comments.

Regards Arthur

    Arthur Boulieris
    Implementation & Support