Collecting SNMP stats from the wrong IP address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Collecting SNMP stats from the wrong IP address
From: Mark van Kerkwyk <kerkwyk@COMTECH.COM.AU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:01:18 -0800
Hi,
     I thought I had this one beat but it has come back to bite me again.

I have a seedfile for all nodes in Netview, I am collecting various SNMP stats
from these devices, the problem I am haiving is that sometimes the data comes
back with different ipaddress values which then causes reporting problems as I
report using select statements based on the device's IP address.

eg.
- In the seed file I have a node address of 203.41.116.254
- This ipaddress also has a hostname mapping which maps to the object name in
Netview eg. "xlwr01"
- Router has 3 interfaces, 203.41.116.254, 203.41.113.24 & 139.47.22.56
- However, the data being stored in the database for the ipaddress value is the
139.47.22.56 even though the seed file specified the 203.41.116.254 address.

When I look at the ip properties of the router in Netview, it's ip address is
203.41.116.254

So, why would Netview be collecting data on the 139.x.x.x address ????

Has anyone else had this problem, all I want to do is collect snmp stats and
make sure the ipaddress stored in the database is always consistent.

Mark

This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper.