Collecting SNMP stats from the wrong IP address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Collecting SNMP stats from the wrong IP address
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:35:51 -0500
Mark, this might be an issue with name resolution. You say
"When I look at the ip properties of the router in Netview, it's
ip address is 203.41.116.254" but  ip address is not a property of a node,
only
interface cards have ip addresses. You forced discovery by one address,
then Netview
found the other addresses and made cards for each of them. If you want
references to
the node name "xlwr01" to always use address 203.41.116.254, then you have
arrange that in  your name resolution. If you are using /etc/hosts, it is
easy - just put it first,
before the records for the other addresses (which should also resolve to
"xlwr01").
If you are using a DNS, it may well be returning different addresses at
different times,
for the same name. Check it out. I have heard that some do that,
round-robin style. This
gives Netview problems, and I usually end up overriding the DNS with
/etc/hosts when
it does. The snmpCollect daemon will take the name or address in
snmpCol.conf and
adjust it for name resolution vagaries, and you can see it doing this in
snmpCol.trace
in the log directory.

Next, I wonder what kind of data you are collecting that the data would be
different when
retrieved via one address over another. If those addresses are all truly on
the same
node, then the results should be the same. The only problem would be the
name
resolution, and that's why it is important to Netview to have all addresses
on the node
resolve to the exact same name, and have the name always resolve to the
same
address.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

Mark van Kerkwyk <kerkwyk@COMTECH.COM.AU>@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU> on 01/28/2000
12:01:18 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

Sent by:  Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>