New To Tivoli

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: New To Tivoli
From: Eric Granados <Eric.Granados@NETSITE.BE>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:37:37 +0100
(Thanks to Leslie Clark for his help)

Hi again,

Here are some more questions I have with Tivoli :

1) I have lots of routers, which are operated by a telecom operator, ie I
have no control on them except to get snmp data (we agreed to stay on a
"public" get community name).

I am in control of the internal IP addressing (on my lans), but not of the
IP addressing used by the operator for his serial and ISDN lines. They are
all in 172 ranges.

When I start discovery, Netview discovers all the 172 addresses and creates
connexions accordingly. This is annoying for me, for two reasons :

a) The generated map is VERY complicated, with connexions going from every
router to every router (or something like that).

b) I am not allowed to PING theses addresses, they are just discovered
because snmp returns the info. So when polling occurs my routers turn red
because these interfaces won't respond to a ping.

I can see two solutions for this problem, and I'd like to know which is the
best one :

i) Edit the seed file to prevent discovery of 172 addresses. I tried this
but it looks like the discovery process is impaired when doing it (Netview
doesn't seem to discover everything).

ii) Let it go that way but go into each router and "unmanage" each interface
I cannot control. This solves my polling problem but leaves me with 172
networks everywhere that I find annoying.

2) Sometimes I get the same item at different levels of a submap (for
instance on a single segment, I get the ip network  icon. If I drill down I
get the router on this segment, then an icon for the segment. If I drill
down in the segment icon, I get the same router again). On the top map, I
changed the LABEL of the router to give it a more meaningful name. This
LABEL change is not reflected in the second "instance" of the router I have
on the segment submap. My question is : are these two objects totally
unrelated ? I would assume that Netview keeps ONE definition for a given
object then shows it at different levels, but it doesn't seem to be the case
!

Best regards,
Eric Granados
NETsite S.A.                            51 Rue de Huy - 4300 Waremme
Tél : +32 19 32 95 28                   Fax : +32 19 32 95 12
Mailto:Eric.Granados@NETsite.be         Sema : 0454 46 95 71