Re: Seedfile not working ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Seedfile not working ?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:21:01 -0500
As long as netview has heard about them, they will come back.
Here's what to do:
ovstop netmon.
Select and delete the things you don't want (from ALL submaps)
Wait for the deletion events to show up in the events display.
Repeat on maps other than default (make sure netmon is not restarted
when you bring up the other maps)
ovtopofix -a   (to get rid of all traces of them)
ovstart netmon

Now they should not show up.
You will, however, get stub objects in the database, with just two
fields, as reminders to not discover them. And they will be checked
via snmp once a day (by default) to see if they have turned onto
something that is permitted.

Detroit

Dear List,

I've activated a seed file today, the goal is to suppress discovery of
Windows95 workstations and HP Printers.

Until now, I've never used a seed file, but these 'unwanted' devices were
unmanaged at discovery time (by using specific entries in the oid_to_type
file)

Now, this doesn't seem to work. After the seedfile activation (and restart
of netmon),
I've deleted a few win95 devices, and they reappeared after a while.

Here is the seedfile I'm using (really simple) :
!@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.23.1.12.2.1 # Novell NIOS Windows 95 SNMP Agent
!@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.9.1  # HP Network Printer

The OID I'm using is correct (we're using Novell's SNMP Agent on our
workstations)

Any idea what's happening here ?

Thanks for your input !
Cheers,